Friday, March 30, 2012

So far so good.


I surprisingly like Deerskin. I think that because a lot of the book in mental, there is just a bit of dialog, but it is to really set up the story, of give you a bit more to the character.  Example in the beginning the dialog really sets up the story of the King and Queen and the fact that Lissar is so excited and in a hurry to the story really sets up the ‘fairy tale’ aspect of it, it also give the King and Queen a very glossy, and glamourize start. Some of the dialog is with her first friend Viaka, and her presence seems to add a bit more to the book, we see a bit more of Lissar and how she thinks, in regard to her new friend.

As for the mental regards to the book, it just seems to grab my attention, I like seeing how people think and I think McKinley did a good job at capturing it. Telling how one would react to events, and how the memory takes time to heal and accept these events.  I liked how it was set up when she was running away, and how she slowly heals, mentally and physically.
I admit I am excited to find out what happens next. I hope the ending is different compared to that of Donkeyskin.

Check out this video, I think it is pretty good!

2 comments:

  1. I think that the lack of dialogue slows down the book especially in the middle where most of her life is confusing and her physical change and healing occurs. But in the beginning and the ending seems to speed up like everything is leading up to that moment in the story. That moment ranges from the goal, major event or the point of the whole story.
    The lack of dialogue gives us a view of a person that is confuse and does not seem to understand what is going on, but in reality she does know what it going on, what is happening to her and the problems that happen throughout the story she express what she does, but the lack of views of others people shows her as a dynamic character and also everyone one else a flat character. But the views of the real world haunt her until the end where she expresses everything unlike before where she express very little from feelings to views.
    The clip from u-tube does really match the story well. I feel it addresses the major points in the story, but does not show Ash except as a puppy and the other six dogs from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lack of dialogue also gives us more of the fairy tale feel. I'm also wondering if we could make an analogy between the control of media in the Hunger Games and the way the King and Queen control their population.

    ReplyDelete